This is a recipe I grew up with that my mother adapted for the microwave – that’s right the microwave! It is definitely an Americanized curry recipe so don’t think Indian food here too much, but it is tasty. It was a staple in my house growing up and has become a staple in our household as well. Even better it freezes well.
- 6 tbsps butter
- 6 tbsps flour
- 1 tbsps curry powder (I use McCormick – and I usually use a heaping tbsp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lb Krab deluxe (the frozen kind you get in a pack)
- 2 cups uncooked rice (approx)
1. In microwave, melt 6 tbsps butter.
2. Add the flour, curry powder and salt and pepper. Blend well with a whisk and microwave for 30 seconds.
3. Gradually add the milk 1/2 cup at a time. Blending each time and microwaving 2 minutes on medium power each time. (This is simulating the stirring you would do if you made it stove top.) The sauce should be thickening up each time – if it’s not put the microwave on a higher power. Also you may not need or want the last 1/2 cup of milk as it may result in a too thin sauce.
4. Add the Krab deluxe rinsed and drained. Heat another 2 minutes or until warmed throughout. Serve over rice.